Thursday, January 12, 2006

New semester, new students

Starting a new semester is always exciting. It's one of the strange joys of working in a law school; part of the rhythm of the school. This is the first day of my new class and I look forward to meeting my new class. I have my new, updated syllabus ready, and handouts copied for them.

In some ways, this is like standing at the top of a roller coaster. It's very exciting, with an unknown, exhilarating rush ahead. But that implies that it's all downhill from here. It should not be (I haven't finished updating all the worksheets, if you must know -- so that crank hasn't finished pulling all the cars to the very top)! (hmmm... am I the crank?)

In another way, this is like getting ready for a blind date. I don't know them and they don't know me. We shall meet this evening for the first time, and begin to get to know each other. And I get to introduce them to Advanced Legal Research, their dance partner.

No comments: