Friday, April 01, 2011

Printing from WestlawNext Enabled

This is not an April Fool's Day joke--I tried to print this morning from WestlawNext to our standalone printers, and it worked. Hallelujah! I can't wait to let our students know. I had heard through the grapevine that April 1 was to be the big day, but didn't believe it until I tried it myself. I still don't understand why it took until so late in the academic year to get the printing going, but I'm grateful all the same. My school was an early adopter of WestlawNext. We taught it to our first-year students last fall, and haven't regretted our choice at all. Students have taken to it very well, but were put off by the inability to print to the standalone printers. We publicized workarounds, but it was annoying all the same. With more content migrated to WestlawNext, having the standalone printing in place will be all the more valuable.

3 comments:

Amy Wright said...

It's working at our school, but it is taking 15 minutes to print small jobs of 10-20 pages, which causes all kinds of problems.

Marie S. Newman said...

I haven't had any reports of problems, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

Marie S. Newman said...

I just heard from our Westlaw rep. The company is aware of the problem of slow printing, but expects to address it in the next few weeks. I did a few test prints on Friday afternoon, and can confirm Amy Wright's report that the printing is slow--the standalone printer took 20 minutes to print out 50 pages.